Sunday, March 1, 2009

Bad News.

So, money has been really tight lately, because MetLife basically screwed me, and I haven't been paid the entire time I've been on maternity leave. I've missed 3 paychecks. That's tough. Fortunately (at the time) we got our income tax refund and were able to use that in place of my paychecks. Now I desperately wish I could have saved that money.

Clint came home on Friday and told me that he got laid off. Apparently, it's only temporary and partial? The company can't afford to pay everyone on his project for the whole month, and instead of letting some people go (which Clint said they should have done), they are only going to pay people for two weeks out of the month, and then Clint will have to sign up for unemployment for two weeks. Which is stupid, because two weeks on and then two weeks off, he is going to have to keep initiating unemployment and there is a week grace period before he will get paid each time. Clint thinks it will only be for a few months at the most. His project is the only one that doesn't already have some sort of contract or government funding. They are supposed to be getting a big multi-million dollar contract with this company, and if they do, everything will be fine. If they don't get the contract... I don't know what we are going to do.

I'm struggling, because I'm being realistic about it. He is extremely optimistic, thinking they are going to get the contract, and it should only be a month or two before everything is back to normal. I wish he would start looking for a different job immediately, have another job lined up in case the deal doesn't go through. I'm also being realistic because I write out the bills... I know how much money we have... I know how much money we spend... We have a new baby, and just last night I spent $50 on formula that will last about a week. If any of my friends want to sign up at similac.com for coupons you can give us, that would be awesome.

I'm scared. I feel cheated too, because I feel like we have done everything we can to be responsible young adults. We both graduated from college... we both went out and got good jobs... we got married... we waited for a little while before trying to have a baby, we bought a house... and now that the baby comes, everything is falling apart. Fortunately, I have a good job, for now it is only partially going to affect our money situation, our home is filled with love and laughter, and I know that a lot of children have a lot less.

In church this morning, Rev. Smith was talking about poverty and hunger, and that even in our own neighborhood, his wife said her students were excited to come back to school after a week of snow days because they said they didn't have any food at their house. I hear that and my heart breaks.

When I hear things like that, I know we have it so much better than so many and for that I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment